Sunday, November 9, 2008

Homemade Granola

Granola is my favorite cereal. It is so expensive to buy, though, that we hardly ever had it. Then I started experimenting with making my own. This is the best recipe I ever tried. I found it at Biblical Womanhood and adapted it a little bit.

Lazy Granola
Combine in a small saucepan:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
Bring to a low boil. Add two teaspoons of vanilla.
Into a large bowl measure:
6 cups whole oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup oat bran
3/4 cup pecan halves or pieces
3/4 cup coconut
Drizzle syrup over oats and stir well to coat. Line two 9 by 13 inch pans with parchment paper. Place half of the mixture in each pan. Bake at 375 degrees for ten minutes. Take pans out of oven and stir granola. Put pans back in the oven. Turn oven off, and go to bed.
After the granola is baked you can stir in raisins or other dried fruit.

You can also toast the granola in a skillet. Our oven is not working right now, so I put half the granola at a time in our electric skillet and toasted it, stirring constantly, until the oats and coconut were lightly browned. I left the first half in for about ten minutes,( at 350) but the oats were burning a bit. For the second batch I turned the temperature down 25 degrees and toasted a few minutes fewer.

2 comments:

sarahdodson said...

This sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try this; our family LOVES granola!

MommaofMany said...

I'm eating a bowl of homemade Vanilla Granola right now! I use this recipe:

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/mommaofmany/119707/