Friday, February 13, 2009

It's Finally Finished!



When I was 17 I found a book at our library that was full of pictures of beautiful antique quilts. By the time I got home, I had decided I was going to make a quilt. I sketched out a pattern I had seen, made paper templates, and started in. I used scraps of fabric I had saved from other sewing projects and old clothes for the patches. Soon I had made 30 quilt blocks. Later a friend gave me books of quilt patterns, and I found out that my quilt pattern was called pinwheel. When I read the directions they gave for piecing the blocks, I found that I had done mine in a very difficult way-the directions they gave were much simpler! Slowly I sewed the blocks together, layered the quilt, and hand quilted it. Last Monday I bound it, and now my quilt is complete!



This post is a contribution to Show and Tell Friday at Kelli's House.

19 comments:

Liesel said...

There's not much more comforting then quilt.

"Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love."

It must have taken you hours to make it, but what a reasult! It's lovely :o)

SmilingSally said...

Great job! You should be proud. Thanks for sharing. Happy Show and Tell Friday!

sarahdodson said...

It's LOVELY!! All that hard work has paid off for you; good job! :)

Lynn said...

That looks really nice!

Lynn said...

That looks really nice!

Lynn said...

That looks really nice!

A Hint of Home said...

That is a work of love. Great job!

Hootin Anni said...

A superb job!!!! Truly!!! It looks so wonderful. I envy those who have the skills to do this.

Hope you can find time to stop by my 2nd edition of three installments of my troll collection if you haven't yet.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Fantastic. What a lot of work and even with no instructions! So pretty!

Missy Wertz said...

Beautiful quilt. You did a wonderful job!

Susie Homemaker said...

You have created a future heirloom...great job!

Blessings,
Susie

Cass @ That Old House said...

That is beautiful, and I really admire you for making it. I have always wanted to make a quilt, but never had the courage or ambition to do it!

Cass

Jane said...

It's beautiful. I have always dreamed of making quilts and never have.

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! I know just how you feel! I made a queen size nine patch with the muslin in between and hand quilted it too. Like you, it took me years to complete. I love the pattern you used for the blocks. How big did you make your squares? What a treasure - are you going to use it, save it, or display it?

Unknown said...

Thank y'all for the comments! Rebecca, the answer to your question is yes! :) I made the quilt for my hope chest, so I'll save it until my wedding and then use it. But I'm considering entering it in a local quilt show also. The blocks are 12 inch square.

Anonymous said...

Wanted to stop by and say hello and comment on your beautiful Quilt... some day I hope to make one when life hopefully slows down a wee bit.. Have a blessed week.
Debylin

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilt! I have a mini-pinwheel quilt thrown over the bottom of our guest room bed. I love the pinwheel pattern, and you did a great job!

On A Hill Homestead said...

It's so beautiful. Well done!
Blessings, Kris

A Joyful Heart said...

It is really pretty, Emily! I would love to try making one sometime soon.